Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2020

Fab Foundations # 38: “Say Cheese”

(Personal reflections inspired by Beatles songs)

Song: “Photograph”
Album: Ringo
Release Date: November 1973

In queuing up Ringo Starr’s 1973 self-titled album Ringo for the first time this past Sunday, I continued on my "Solo September" listening sojourn, tackling unheard-until-now solo albums from each of the four ex-Beatles (last week I launched this sub-series with John Lennon’s Walls and Bridges album). I was very much looking forward to this one and Ringo did not disappoint, seeing as the album is chock-full of solid up-tempo music that had me tapping my feet all week. Indeed, upon the release of Ringo, three years after the Beatles disbanded, Starr proved he could produce a hit-laden album with the best of em’, including his typically far-more-prolific ex-bandmates.

I’ll get to the music on Ringo soon enough. The first thing that grabbed my attention though - in relation to this album - was when I read the liner notes on the sleeve and saw just how many great musicians contributed their talents to it. Which musicians you ask? How about John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Marc Bolan, Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, Rick Danko, Steve Cropper, Billy Preston, Randy Newman, Nicky Hopkins, Klaus Voormann, Jim Keltner, Bobby Keys, David Bromberg, Harry Nilsson, Martha Reeves, Merry Clayton, and Linda McCartney. Can any other album top that list for rock-star quality and quantity? None that I can think of.

As discussed before in these pages, Ringo Starr has always been a magnet for the stars (hence his adopted surname?), proving this ability time and time again, particularly on all his “All-Starr-Band” tours. In this way, Ringo may have been at the height of his powers in 1973. Case in point, Ringo is the only post-Beatle album on which all 4 ex-bandmates would perform on (although never the 4 together on one song). And they all brought their “A” game. Here we hear Ringo Starr bringing out the hilarity in John Lennon (“I’m the Greatest”) the “Big Hit” in George Harrison (“Photograph”) and the confessional in Paul McCartney (“Six O’Clock”). It’s as if Starr shuffled the deck and assigned everyone a fresh personality. Perhaps that’s part of the attraction everyone had for the man; he pulled them out of their own skin.

The only musician who plays on every song on Ringo other than Starr himself is Klaus Voormann on bass (give a listen to Voormann’s ‘vrooming’ bass on “Oh My My” – did he get lessons from Bill Wyman of “Paint it Black” vrooming fame?). This had me doing some research, seeing as I’d just last week listened to Voormann’s sweet bass playing on John Lennon’s Walls and Bridges. I also recalled that he had played bass on Lennon’s Plastic Ono Band and George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass. It turns out Voormann played bass on virtually all of Lennon’s solo albums, a good many of George Harrison’s (primarily his 70s output) and several more of Starr’s (and seeing as Paul McCartney already had the bass part covered, its no wonder that collaboration did not happen). He was also the bassist for Manfred Mann in the late 60s.

I find this interesting and unique; Voormann as a key connect-the-dots persona in the Beatles lives. He was there for them musically, artistically, and personally. In tandem with his fellow German, Astrid Kirchherr (who passed away earlier this year), Voormann became close friends with the Beatles during their hard-rocking heady days in Hamburg, before the band made it big. Both Klaus and Astrid were artsy types. Kirchherr would go on to take some of the earliest masterful photos of the Beatles, whose membership at the time included both Stu Sutcliffe (who Astrid would fall in love with for a spell before Sutcliffe died of a brain hemorrhage at the tender young age of 21) and Pete Best (who would soon be replaced on the drum stool by Ringo). Voormann would eventually move to London, live with George Harrison and Ringo Starr for a spell, and end up designing one of the Beatles most famous album covers, Revolver. During those years (1963-66), he would also learn how to play the bass.

I’d like to think I connect with many a musician, but there are only a handful where I end up wanting to learn a lot more about than just their music (pretty much the ones I’ve written about in these blog pages these past 10 years). Here is where I find myself diving into the stories of the “extras” in their lives. After all, no great success story is possible without the support staff. The Who had a particularly eclectic cross-section of personalities in their circles, all of whom appear to have had a genuine love for the band. There’s Irish Jack, Bobby Pridden, Peter “Dougal” Butler, Chris Charlesworth, John “Wiggy” Wolff, Glyn Johns, Leo Sayer, Simon Townshend, Ted Astley, Kit Lambert, Chris Stamp, Rabbit Bundrick, Jeff Stein, Rachel Fuller, and Zak Starkey to name a few. Look them up. They played many disparate rolls, yet the one thing they have/had in common is that their stories are very Who centric.

In the case of the Beatles, along with Klaus Voormann, Astrid Kirchherr and Stu Sutcliffe, there’s Brian Epstein, George Martin, Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney, Pattie Boyd, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Derek Taylor, Ravi Shankar, Jane Asher, Peter Shotton, Peter Brown, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Elliot Mintz, Joe Brown, Barbara Bach, Olivia Harrison, and Tony Bramwell, to name a few. The Beatles were loyal to those who helped them before they were famous, and that loyalty was reciprocated, particularly in the cases of Evans, Aspinall, Epstein, Voorman, Kirchherr, Shotton and even Martin.

Why has this Ringo blog entry veered off on a side trail to my now writing about “support staff”? I pondered this too, and then it struck me, and I can summarize that light bulb moment in one word; “Photograph”. This song was Ringo Starr’s greatest hit, and one of the catchiest tunes of all time. Yes, all it took for me was to type the song title in the 3rd paragraph above and the next thing you know, I’m off the beaten path (listening to “Photograph” frequently this week may have had something to do with it too). Or am I? Afterall, these thoughts all tie together …. Ringo’s friend-filled, star-studded life. Photographs of memories. The Beatles. The people in our circles. The Ringo album cover (very Sgt. Pepper-esque).

Who are the people in your bubble (circle, sphere) that made it happen for you? Who are your “support staff”? I know who they are for me. They are those who have had a positive connection with me beyond the superficial level, many of whom read this blog. I thought of all of you as I listened to “Photograph” this week, as well as those who “won’t be coming back any more”, including close friends Ed Suen and Bob Bouvier, as well as my Aunt Ginger and so many others; aunts, uncles, grandparents, in-laws, cousins, colleagues, and friends. You are the people that have made it happen for me. You are the “bread winners” in my life.

“Photograph” was co-written by George Harrison. It’s the only song that has ever been officially credited to “Starkey and Harrison”. Ringo sang this song at The Concert for George, a very special event that memorialized Starr’s Fab-Four bandmate not long after he had passed. Parts of Starr’s performance are captured in this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhDKHo2wapM ) which also features photographic memories of many others in Ringo’s circles, including of course John Lennon and Paul McCartney.

Ringo (the album) is solid through and through. The Band (of Bob Dylan fame) plays on the pastoral-sounding “Sunshine Life for Me” (oh, to be a fly on the wall to witness that ‘Big Pink’ crew jamming on this tune with Ringo and George Harrison - who wrote the song). “I’m the Greatest”, “Photograph” and “Six O’Clock” each include wonderfully-familiar backing vocals from Ringo’s ex’s (John, George, and Paul respectively) “You’re Sixteen” brings me way back. “Oh My My” may be the most touching song on the entire album, which appears to be about Ringo’s adolescent years in a hospital bed (with a variety of ailments), rising above the pain and sadness with the occasional late-night boogie and a little bit of slide. “You and Me (Babe)” signs off the album in classic uber-confident Ringo fashion (similar to how he opens it up with “I’m the Greatest”).

By week’s end, it all came back to “Photograph” for a handful of extra plays. And with it the memories, which had me pulling out photo albums of days gone by. Do me a favor this weekend and poke through your old photos. Relive some of your great memories and with them, your support staff. You may find yourself rekindling something that’s been squirreled away for far too long. Something just dying to come back to the fore.

I include a few of mine here for some inspiration. Be sure to play “Photograph” as you view.

- Pete








































2 comments:

Nancy said...

Wow!! Fabulous fabulous memories!!

Fred 3rd said...

Pete. Your ability to make me sit....think....focus....act...is a gift that I am so grateful to receive from you. I dug into several photo albums this past week. The jumbled emotions of euphoria and melancholy make me feel alive.

Thank you