Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2020

Fab Foundations # 25: “Going Back to the White Well” (3 of 4)

(Personal reflections inspired by Beatles songs)

Song: “Long, Long, Long”
Album: The Beatles
Release Date: November 1968

Continuing my White Album review song by song, here I tackle side 3. If you have not already done so, I suggest reading the introduction to Fab Foundations # 4 as a prelude to this entry ( https://pete-gemsandbeyond.blogspot.com/2020/01/fab-foundations-4-going-back-to-white.html ) seeing as it explains my personal introduction to the White Album on Christmas Day as a young teenager many years ago. Side 2 is tackled in Fab Foundations # 15 ( https://pete-gemsandbeyond.blogspot.com/2020/04/fab-foundations-15-going-back-to-white.html ).

My great friend, Mac and I attended a packed Berklee Performance Center in Boston on January 28, 2014 to watch local Rock musicians and Berklee faculty perform The White Album in its entirety (complete with orchestra pit, a rock-band section of the stage, and a parade of lead singers). It was extremely well done - invoking a sense of passion for the music by all who participated - and was something that I never thought I would see performed by anyone. In other words, it was special.

Side 3 was a highlight that evening because the general feel of that side fit in extremely well with the raucous mood of the event. Afterall, three of the songs on side 3 are among the hardest rockers on the entire album (“Birthday”, “Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey”, and “Helter Skelter”) and two others are HEAVY (“Yer Blues” and “Sexy Sadie”).  The remaining two songs (“Mother Nature’s Son” and my favorite on Side 3 “Long, Long, Long”) are serene, beautiful and impassioned, which was needed to give the Berklee crowd a bit of a reflective break from the fever pitch that was playing out all around us with the other 5 songs during that stretch of the magnificent White Album performance. 

What follows is my critique of Side 3 of the White Album, track by track. As the case with the other 2 related entries, the main songwriter’s first name is in parenthesis (who needs a last name with this band?):

White Album, Side 3 (of 4)

Birthday” (Paul). There are but a small handful of modern musicians/bands who have made big-event-days-of-the-year their own through song to these ears. Let’s see, off the top of my head there’s the Grateful Dead with “U.S. Blues” (4th of July) and Arlo Guthrie with “Alice’s Restaurant” (Thanksgiving). And then there’s the Beatles, who pull this off with 2 big-event songs; the already-covered “Your Mother Should Know” (Mother’s Day) and of course “Birthday”. If the Beatles “Birthday” could contribute to a laying down of the weary tune that is “Happy Birthday” for the foreseeable future, we would all be the better off (although in the Steeves family we do spice up that old refrain with some improv and a classic add-on tag).

I love all the vocals in this song, lead and otherwise.  There’s the early Paul McCartney slightly faded count from 1 to 8 (which makes “Birthday” perfect for any kid turning 8-years old). The song really begins to soar midway through when John Lennon takes the tension-building lead for a short spell, singing the threepeat “Yes where going to a party party”, after which the buildup is released in the music and with Paul McCartney singing “I would like you to dance” several times. McCartney’s singing here is filled with celebratory bravado and a touch of lunacy. The ladies in the studio that evening, Yoko Ono and Patti Boyd Harrison chime in too, responding to McCartney’s request with a lovely and ethereal soprano-pitched “Birthday”.  All this gives the song a feel of live immediacy. Oh, to be a fly on the wall for that studio session.

When daughter Charlotte and son Peter were younger this song would be cranked to the max on the mornings of their birthdays. From that moment it was 3 minutes of frenzied spinning and twirling of them in the air - while singing myself - which would leave me exhausted by the end of it. This breathless state was of no matter to the kids, who would insist I do it again… and again. I obliged as long as I could bear it, often finding my second and third winds (finding that new burst of energy was less of a problem the years they turned eight years old).

Yer Blues” (John). As the case with the transition from “Martha My Dear” to “I’m So Tired” on side 2, we hear another major mood swing here.  But again, in the uniquely wonderful and strange ways of the White Album, it works. “Yer Blues” is the second song on the album where John Lennon is expressing the trauma and pain of being parentless (the first, “Julia”).  Here we hear some of the most personal gut-wrenching lyrics in all of Rock and Roll (Pete Townshend’s “Empty Glass” also comes to mind). 

There was no filtering in John Lennon’s music, which reflects his personality.  Lennon was an artist through and through, to the degree that non-artistic endeavors that most of us take for granted as being part of our daily lives, such as fiscal responsibility or being tactful and prudent appear to have been completely foreign to him. Oddly, this was one of his many endearing qualities and it was what made him brilliant at his craft.

John Lennon performed “Yer Blues” in a concert setting of sorts, just around the time the White Album came out. He did this at the one-off Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus event (this filmed event was not released by the Rolling Stones for decades due to them being disappointed in their own performance).  At that event, Lennon enlisted a super band to perform with him: Keith Richards on bass, Eric Clapton on guitar, and Mitch Mitchell on drums. It’s strange watching Lennon on stage with other musicians besides the Beatles, which got me thinking that one thing he and Paul McCartney had in common was that both appear to be - at least to some degree - loners.  George Harrison and Ringo Starr were friend magnets but McCartney and Lennon would ultimately rely on their soul-mate wives (Linda McCartney and Yoko Ono) for deep friendship (to push this point a bit; I often read quotes where McCartney says things like ‘we were friendly with so and so” where Harrison would say it more like ‘Brian Jones was my friend’. Lennon himself rarely commented on friendships). 

A sense of this sort of isolation permeates throughout “Yer Blues”.

One thing that this song has in common with “Birthday” is that live immediacy.  I imagine that what we hear when we listen to “Yer Blues” is precisely how those in the studio heard it on the day it was produced. No overdubs, no corrections.  A pure, unadulterated live sound.   

Mother Nature’s Son” (Paul). Ever since I was a very young lad, I’ve been an animal lover.  This song contributed to me rounding out that love of animals to the rest of the natural world.  John Denver would later master the art of celebrating the Earth’s splendors in song, but here we hear one of the earliest ruminations on the topic in the rock genera. 

Given a fresh spotlight, I would think “Mother Nature’s Son” could reemerge out of the wilderness as a theme song for this day and age, seeing that one thing I’ve noticed a lot of these past few Covid months is kids out and about on bicycles, in yards playing, and even in the woods. It reminds me of the 70s.  I was unequivocally an outdoor kid way back when, and so were all of my friends. In such an environment, you would never know when a chance encounter with nature would lead to a bit of enlightenment.  It may have been some bizarre bug making its way up a tree trunk, or a parade of ants making their way along the crack in a sidewalk, or a baby bird scurrying through the yard having fallen out of its nest, or a giant snapping turtle emerging out of the edge of a field, or a sprout shooting its way out of an acorn. You have to give these encounters a chance though, and the only way to do that is get outside.

It was clear with the White Album that the Beatles had moved on from the 1967 psychedelia that was Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour.  The stripped down feel of this album has proven to thrive the test of time much better than its kaleidoscopic predecessors. There’s a rootsy honesty that emanates in the music, which can be taken literally when it comes to “Mother Nature’s Son”.

Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey” (John). When I first got into this song, I had no idea it was about John Lennon’s relationship to Yoko Ono. I simply thought Lennon had a pet monkey.  The lyrics were relatively inconsequential to me though. I was much more intrigued by the pace and pulse of the song.

The best parts of this song are the spontaneous ones. There are Paul McCartney’s background “Whoo”s throughout, which are great, but the best of the spontaneity comes near the end of the song including all the staggering “come on, come on” lyrics that the entire band chimes in on. My favorite moment though is the quick John Entwistle-esque 3-second bass run that McCartney plays during that stretch. It may have singlehandedly opened my mind up to that instrument, which I have since picked up myself. 

“Everybody’s Got Something to Hide” takes me back to the comment I made earlier (for “Yer Blues”) about the pure artist in John Lennon.  He actually explains it pretty well in these lyrics. Lennon was if anything about as honest and open as they come (brutally so at times). Here we hear him complaining a bit that this level of honesty was not always being reciprocated by others around him… even by his bandmates.  This is a sentiment to contemplate in our own lives. Is there such a thing as too much truthfulness when it comes to a relationship? I’m of the growing belief that there is not.

Sexy Sadie” (John). Here we hear John Lennon lashing out in classic Bob Dylan style.  On the receiving end, none other than the Beatles then-Guru, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, who Lennon ultimately suspected was more compromised with human weaknesses than the Maharishi was willing to admit. Lennon’s original lyrics for the song were much harsher than what ended up on record, thanks to George Harrison, who talked his fellow Beatle out of the worst of the vitriol (Harrison also disagreed somewhat with Lennon’s conclusions on the Maharishi).

One of my favorite passages in the Beatles Anthology tome was John Lennon talking about the Beatles 1968 trip to India to study transcendental meditation with the Maharishi. One comment he makes was that those who were there (including a number of other famous people such as Donovan, Mike Love, and Mia Farrow) seemed to be in competition to see who could “get cosmic first”.  Lennon then goes on to say, “what I didn’t know was that I was already cosmic”.  I can relate to that!

There’s nothing that stands out musically regarding “Sexy Sadie”. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice song and all. However, as with many of John Lennon songs from Revolver forward, his interest appears to be more in what he was saying and how he was saying it then in the musical accompaniment. And so, to enjoy this song you need to focus on Lennon’s vocal delivery, which is what I did from the first time I ever listened.

Helter Skelter” (Paul).  If not for being hijacked by a bad group of people in California, this song would have the deserved reputation as aptly describing the mindset of a kid in an amusement park.  Can’t you just picture it playing loudly as you cruise around in the bumper cars, or spin wildly out of control on the tilt-a-whirl or zero-gravity rides?  (I’m thinking this has occurred for me at least once).

As the case with “Birthday” and “Back in the USSR”, this Paul McCartney song rocks hard. In this case it’s long too. In fact, the song rocks so hard and long that, when it finally concludes (after several false endings), Ringo Starr yells out those famous impromptu words “I’ve got blisters on my fingers!”. That utterance never gets old. (Side note: can anyone name any other utterances that made it on a record in the heat of the moment? Two spontaneous utterances I can think of are “Alright Wilson, pick it” (on Neil Young’s “Losing End”) and “I saw ya” (on the Who’s “Happy Jack”)).

Being a workaholic and perfectionist, Paul McCartney could push his fellow Beatles to the limits and beyond at times (another recollection of this is of his endless takes for “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer”, which John Lennon actually blew off).  From a fans perspective we should be grateful for that quest for perfection seeing as “Helter Skelter” is a fast moving joy of a ride.

Long, Long, Long”. (George). The Beatles save the best for last on side 3, at least in my mind. In fact,, I’ll go as far as saying that “Long, Long, Long” is the most underrated of all Beatles songs ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9vUCdfwlgw ).  It always slips under the radar when their music is being rated. One big reason for this is that it is a deceptively subtle song. The other reason: It’s the only Beatles song that is explicitly about God, which, unfortunately, many of the counterculture struggle with. Not me.

Passion shines in “Long, Long, Long”. It’s basically a love song to God. I thought about this some over the week. At a time when John Lennon was getting overwhelmed with his love for Yoko Ono, the same thing was happening with George Harrison, but in a different light. Beautiful things were happening all around the Beatles camp, but at the same time it was all creating deep fissures between band members, because none of these developments were interrelated to the band itself.

Why do I love this song? Well, aside from it being about God, the music, lyrics and singing in the bridge is exquisite. When Harrison sings “so many tears I was searching”, so many tears I was wasting, oh, oh!”, I feel it to my very soul. Listen close to McCartney efforts on the Hammond Organ here too. Beatle Paul was bonding with his longtime brother in arms. The closing of the song has a nice touch too. George adds an extra verse “you know that I need you” that breaks out of the song structure and adds intimacy at the same time.  Wonderful.

Well, there you have it; my critique of side 3 of the White Album. I hope you connect with at least some of my insights.  I already look forward to doing the same for the fourth and final side.

- Pete

No comments: